Insurance Claims Procedure
These procedures will be followed for an insurance claim.
Students are responsible for reporting repair (insurance claim) requests to the building computer technician. When a student makes an insurance claim, these procedures will be followed:
- The computer technician will record the following (on the District’s official Repair Log) before completing any work on the laptop computer:
- Student Name
- Date of visit
- Time of visit
- Description of Issue/Repair
- Type of claim: warranty or insurance
- Repairs – For all repairs, the computer technician will order the part(s) and notify the Technology Department secretary. The device parts will be sent to the attention of the computer technician upon arrival.
- Insurance Claim – For insurance claims, the computer technician will assess all damage, take photographs indicating damage on the MacBook and ask the student to initial the damage, confirming the accuracy of the damage assessment. The computer technician will send photographs, with student sign-off, to the Technology Department secretary.
- Upon receipt of documentation, the Technology Department secretary will notify families by certified letter of the insurance claim, including the actual invoiced cost of the repair and the amount of any deductible owed. Included with the letter will be copies of the photographs with student explanation and initials.
- The cost of insurance claim parts will be covered using funds in the Insurance Account.
- The Technology Department secretary will invoice families monthly for the insurance claim deductible and maintain a running account of funds in the Insurance Account.
- For uncollected insurance claim/premium costs: Including the original notification via US mail, families will receive a minimum of three written notifications pertaining to any outstanding financial obligation. After the final notification, parents will receive a phone call from the school principal. After all these measures have been exhausted and the obligation is still not met or a plan for payment has not been agreed upon, the District will attempt to secure resolution through a hearing with the District Magistrate. In addition to the initial repair cost, families will be responsible for collection costs (approximately $100 + repair costs).
*During extended virtual learning the insurance claim procedures will be augmented. Claims will be made via the Device Hardware Repair Request Form