Students currently enrolled in a PA college or university teacher preparation program regionally accredited and approved by PDE, and who have completed sixty (60) semester hours or the equivalent, may apply for a susbstitute teaching permit as long as they are eligible under section 111 (criminal history) and section 1109(a) (good moral character, 18 years of age, US citizen, etc).
- The permit is valid for one year and the holder may substitute for no more than ten (10) days per school year for a single teacher and no more than twenty (20) days for multiple employees per school year;
- The permit is valid for one year and may be renewed for one additional year if the student provides documentation of continued enrollment in the preparation program and the completion of an additional fifteen (15) credit hours or its equivalent.
Applicants must include the following items in their application packet:
- A complete and signed professional application
- Letter of interest
- A copy of current clearances within 60 months:
- FBI fingerprint Clearance or receipt indicating registration ID# (Only the PA Department of Education version will be accepted)
- Act 34: PA State Police Request for Criminal History Check - https://epatch.state.pa.us
- Act 151: PA Child Abuse History Clearance https://www.compass.state.pa.us/cwis/public/home
- Act 168: Please download form here and complete page 1 and sign and date where indicated at the top of page 2. Bring the completed forms with you to your session. You will prepare one for each of your current and previous employers that fall within the following categories (please include fax numbers of employers):
- The applicant's current employer (regardless of whether the employer is a school entity and/or where the applicant had direct contact with children);
- All former employers of the applicant that were school entities; and
- All former employers where the applicant was employed in a position where he/she had direct contact with children.
- Current Resume
- Sealed transcript(s) (reflecting completion of 60 hours or the equivalent)
- Three letters of recommendation (one must be from advisor or professor of current educational institution).
Please mail application packet to:
Salisbury Township School District
Attn: Mary Bishop
1140 Salisbury Road
Allentown, PA 18103