Welcome to First Grade
First grade is a time of growth, change, learning, and fun. During first grade, children will acquire many new skills both academically and socially that will put them on the path of life-long learning.
First Grade Supply List 2019-2020
- 24 sharpened pencils
- 1 box of thin Crayola markers (for outlining)
- 1 box of crayons (24 count)
- 2 Expo dry erase marker (black)
- 6 large glue sticks to use throughout the year
- 1 headset (for iPad/computer use) with larger ear pads; not ear buds- please see attached sheet.
- 2 plastic two pocket folders (different colors)
- 1 art smock (labeled with name)
- 1 pump bottle of hand sanitizer
- 1 large container of Clorox wipes
- 1 box quart size or gallon size ziplock bags with zipper
- 1 box gallon size ziplock bags with zipper
- 1 large container of brand specific “Wet Ones” hand wipes -please see attached sheet.
*Due to a lack of storage space, we discourage the use of wheeled backpacks.
*Please put your child’s name or initials on all supplies.
Tips for a Successful Year in First Grade
- Each child will receive a home folder at the beginning of the year. This folder contains homework and information for parents and students. It should go back and forth to school every day.
- Please check this folder every night with your child.
- Homework will be given. It will consist of a literacy activity, math worksheet and/or spelling practice.
- Find a quiet time and place for your child to complete his/her homework. Homework should typically take 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remember to sit with your child when he/she is completing their homework. If you have any homework questions please feel free to email or call your child’s teacher.
- Please have your child practice his/her math facts daily for 5 to 10 minutes each night.
- Reading is an important part of your child’s year in first grade. Please take the time to read with your child every night.
Schedule for First Grade
- Kid Writing
- Morning Meeting/ Calendar Activities
- Reading, Spelling, Phonics, Grammar, Guided Reading, Literacy Centers
- Lunch and Recess
- Social Studies/ Science
Social Studies/Science Themes
- September- All About Me
- October- Food and Nutrition
- November- Food and Nutrition
- December- Magnets
- January- Home Addresses and Maps
- February- USA
- March- Dental Health
- April- Living Things
- May and June- Rocks and Minerals