WELCOME TO FIRST GRADE
First grade is a time of growth, change, learning, and fun. During first grade, children will acquire many new skills both academically and socially that will put them on the path of life-long learning.
FIRST GRADE SUPPLY LIST 2020-2021
General supplies needed for First Grade include the following:
- Sharpened pencils
- Glue Stick
- 1-Subject Notebook
- Black Dry Erase Marker
- Sanitizer Pump
- Clorox Wipes/Baby Wipes (if you can find them!)
- Lunch Box
- Water Bottle
*Please visit your child’s teacher’s webpage for a more complete list of items needed for that specific classroom.
Tips for a Successful Year in First Grade
- Each child will receive a home folder at the beginning of the year. This folder contains homework and information for parents and students. It should go back and forth to school every day.
- Please check this folder every night with your child.
- Homework will be given. It will consist of a literacy activity, math worksheet and/or spelling practice.
- Find a quiet time and place for your child to complete his/her homework. Homework should typically take 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remember to sit with your child when he/she is completing their homework. If you have any homework questions please feel free to email or call your child’s teacher.
- Please have your child practice his/her math facts daily for 5 to 10 minutes each night.
- Reading is an important part of your child’s year in first grade. Please take the time to read with your child every night.
Schedule for First Grade
- Journal Writing
- Morning Meeting/ Calendar Activities
- Phonemic awareness, Phonics, Shared Reading, Guided Reading, Literacy Centers and Writing
- Lunch and Recess
- Social Studies/Science
Social Studies/Science Themes
- September- All About Me
- October- Food and Nutrition
- November- Food and Nutrition
- December- Magnets
- January- Home Addresses and Maps
- February- USA
- March- USA
- April- Plants/Living Things
- May and June- Rocks and Minerals